Degree, Certificate or Diploma
1,473 Jobs (2020)
+12.2% Change from 2020-2025
Data is from the Omaha Metropolitans Area, and the seven counties in Southwest Iowa that Iowa Western serves
What will you do
This program is designed for students intending to enter the workforce upon completion of this one-year diploma. Child care workers generally are classified into three different groups based on where they work: private household workers, who care for children at the children’s homes; family child care providers, who care for children in the providers’ homes; and child care workers who work at child care centers. Graduates of this program are prepared for entry-level jobs in all three areas, and they qualify for licensing as an assistant teacher at a child care facility. Students who wish to earn an advanced degree may continue on to complete the Early Childhood Studies program and earn an Associate of Applied Science degree.
- Entry: $14.04
- Average: $20.78
- Experienced: $36.13
Career Coach - find a job with this degree
ECE 244 - Early Childhood Guidance with Lab
ECE 103 - Introduction to Early Childhood Education
ECE 170 - Child Growth and Development
ECE 153 - Early Childhood Curriculum I with Lab
SPC 122 - Interpersonal Communication
ECE 120 - Communication with Families
ECE 133 - Child Health, Safety, and Nutrition
ECE 156 - Early Childhood Curriculum II with Lab
ECE 221 - Infant/Toddler Care and Education
ENG 110 - Writing For The Workplace
ENG 105 - Composition I
Total Semester Hours Required: 32.0
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the early childhood profession.
- Identify developmental characteristics of children.
- Create a developmentally appropriate curriculum that advances all areas of children’s development and learning.
- Demonstrate a safe, healthy learning environment.
- Apply a variety of strategies to encourage children’s social, physical and emotional development.
- Demonstrate positive and productive relationships with families, colleagues and other professionals.
- Describe and demonstrate the development and learning of individual children, recognizing that children develop in a context of culture, language and ability diversity.
- Salary information from EMSI Analyst Database