Veteran/Military Benefit Programs

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty

For Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill®- Active duty benefit information please visit: Chapter 30 Mongomery GI Bill®

Benefits are typically paid for 36 enrolled months of training. If all 36 months of eligibility have been used under Chapter 30, a veteran with three years of active duty service before Aug. 2011 may switch over to Chapter 33 and use an additional 12 months of entitlement.

“GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation

Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) is an employment service that supports job training, employment accommodations, resume development, and job seeking skills coaching for disabled veterans. This benefit includes paid tuition, fees, and $1000/year book stipend, depending on eligibility.

Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation benefits through your eBenefits account, select “Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Benefits”. Then apply for “Educational and Career Counseling”.

For Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation benefit information please visit: Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation

Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill®

Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) provides up to 36 months of benefits for service members that have served at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after September 10, 2001, have been honorably discharged or discharged with a service-connected disability. In addition, this benefit can be used by the dependents of an eligible veteran, provided the service member has transferred the benefit to the dependent.

Apply for benefits online: VA Education And Training Benefits | Veterans Affairs.
Tuition, Fees, Living Stipend and $1000 per academic year book stipend paid, depending on eligibility. The full stipend paid is the pay of an E-5 with dependents in this state’s zip code. Note: Active Duty students do not receive a monthly stipend.

Online Rate: Fully online students at the full time status receive 1/2 of the national average of the monthly housing allowance, or $754.50.

Tuition and Fee Certification Process: Federal funds must be applied first before any other aid can be applied to your account. So let us know if you expect additional aid that will result in a refund, so that we can certify your tuition and fees early to help expedite the process. Iowa Western may pre-certify students up to 30 days before the start of the term.

Debt Letters: Debts are incurred with the Post 9/11 GI Bill® when the VA has paid tuition and fees for a course that was later dropped or withdrawn from. In some circumstances, the debt may include the stipend and book stipend for the course as well.

Eligibility Percentages: Some students are only partially eligible for Chapter 33. If you are less than 100 percent eligible, you will receive that percentage of the monthly stipend and will be responsible for the difference of tuition and fees paid to Iowa Western. Federal Financial Aid may be available to help with the remaining amount owed.

For example:

A student that is 100 percent eligible for Chapter 33 will have 100 percent of their tuition and fees paid for by the VA and receive 100 percent of their entitled stipends. A student who may be 70 percent eligible for Chapter 33 will have 70 percent of their tuition and fees paid for by the VA and receive that percentage of their entitled stipends. This student would then owe Iowa Western the remaining 30 percent of tuition and fees.

For additional information on Ch 33 benefit rates, please visit the following page: Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®

The monthly living stipend and book stipend is paid directly to the solider. Unlike the other benefits, tuition and fees are paid by the VA directly to Iowa Western.

“GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Chapter 35: Dependents’ Education Assistance Program

The Dependent’s Education Assistance Program was created for dependents whose sponsor is missing, forcibly detained, has died, or is 100% permanently and totally disabled in connection to active service.

  • Apply for Chapter 35 online: VA Education And Training Benefits | Veterans Affairs.
  • Spouses may use Chapter 35 between 10-20 years, depending on sponsor’s condition
  • Children may use Chapter 35 from age 18-26, though there are certain circumstances under which this can be extended
  • Benefits extend 45 months

For additional information on Ch 35 benefit rates, please visit the following page:Chapter 35 Dependents’ Education Assistance Program

Guard/Reservist Benefits

Chapter 1606: MGIB – Selected Reserve
Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program
For both chapters, your benefits should also be verified monthly in WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment)

For current rates for both 1606 and 1607 please visit the following page: Chapter 1607 and 1607

Also students currently using 1606 or 1607 are not allowed to use Federal Tuition Assistance  concurrently with their respective benefits.

National Guard Education Assistance Program (NGEAP)

NGEAP is a state-funded program that pays schools directly for the cost of tuition for members of the Iowa Army and Air National Guard. Based on annual appropriation by the Iowa state legislature, NGEAP pays 100 percent of your tuition cost for classes between August and May. NGEAP does not cover summer courses, nor does the NGEAP pay fees. For more information on NGEAP, please visit the Iowa National Guard’s website at


To be eligible to apply for and receive NGEAP you must:

  • Be an Iowa resident (determined by the Adjutant General of Iowa).
  • Be an active member of the Iowa Army or Air National Guard (satisfactory performance of duty).
  • Have completed Initial Entry Training (Basic Training and AIT or Tech Training).
    Have not met the requirements of a Baccalaureate degree.
  • Attend a North Central Association (NCA) accredited community college, university or private college or university in Iowa.

Applying for Benefits

The deadline to apply for NGEAP is generally July 1st for the fall semester and December 1st for the spring semester. If you attend Iowa Western for both fall and spring semesters you only need to apply once. 

  • Apply for NGEAP
  • Once the application is approved your name will appear on an online roster. 
  • Financial Aid processes the award to your Iowa Western account.
  • Questions are the National Guard Education Office or Wing Education Officer:
    • Army – (515) 252-4468 
    • Air – (515) 252-4555 or Wing Education Office

Receiving Payments

When your application for NGEAP is approved, your name will appear on an online roster that we have access to in the Veterans Services and Financial Aid Office. The Veterans Services Coordinator will award NGEAP funds on your Iowa Western account equal to the cost of your tuition (not including fees). If the NGEAP award results in a credit balance on your Iowa Western account (example – you are receiving Financial Aid and NGEAP) the NGEAP funds will be refunded to you in accordance with Iowa Western refund policy. Generally, refunds are disbursed approximately three weeks into the semester and every Friday thereafter. You would then be able to apply NGEAP funds towards other costs of attendance which may include books, living expenses, gas, etc.

If you reduce the number of credit hours you are registered for within the drop period, NGEAP will be adjusted. If you received a refund of NGEAP funds it may result in a balance due to Iowa Western. For specific information about how reducing credit hours affects NGEAP please contact the Veterans Coordinator.

Federal Tuition Assistance

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) is a federally funded program that pays schools directly for the cost of tuition for Soldiers. FTA pays 100 percent of your tuition cost up to $250 per credit hour and up to $4,500 per fiscal year (1 OCT – 30 SEP). Fees are authorized for payment as long as they are directly related to the course(s). Soldiers must provide details of fees on the uploaded statement of tuition cost (see application process below). FTA cannot be used for books.

FTA can be used towards one degree or certificate completion at Iowa Western. Soldiers are limited to 16 credit hours per fiscal year and 130 total credit hours towards an undergraduate degree.

For more information about FTA please visit the Iowa National Guard’s website at


If you are an active drilling member of the Army National Guard or U.S. Army Reserves and have served at least 12 months after the graduation from your initial entry training (IET – Basic Training and AIT) you may be eligible to apply for and receive FTA. 

Applying for Benefits

The deadline to apply for FTA is the start date of the course(s). You must apply for FTA each semester because the application is specific to the courses you are registered for.

  1. Apply for Federal Tuition Assistance:
    • Create a profile.
    • Upload four documents:
      • Statement of Understanding (signed by you and commander)(12 months)
      • Degree Plan/Degree Audit (Program Evaluation from Self Services in ROC)
      • Class Schedule (ROC Student Self-Services Registration )
      • Cost Verification/Detailed Bill (ROC Student Self Services Billing Information, Account Summary by Term)
    • Complete/Submit the application.
    • You will receive two emails:
      • Application received
      • Application approved
    • Print approved authorization(s).
  2. Provide copies of approved authorizations to the Veterans Services Coordinator.

Receiving Payments

FTA is applied to your Iowa Western account after you provide the approved authorization(s) to the Veterans Coordinator’s Office. The Student Accounts will log your authorizations and provide copies to Student Accounts. Student Accounts will credit your Iowa Western account for the amount of the authorization(s). Iowa Western invoices GoArmyEd on a monthly basis and physically receive the money for your tuition and fees.
TA Refund Policy: Prior to the semester starting 100% of TA funds will be returned. Once the student completes 60% of the semester 0% of TA funds will be returned; all TA funds are earned.

Kicker or Buy Up Program

An individual’s branch of service may offer the College Fund (also known as a “kicker”) as part of an enlistment or reenlistment contract, or for other reasons they determine. The College Fund is an additional amount of money that increases an individual’s basic monthly benefit and is included in his or her VA payment.

Each service branch (not VA) determines who receives the College Fund and the amount received. It may be necessary to send VA a copy of your College Fund contract to ensure the correct amount is added to your monthly benefit. Typically, College Fund contracts are found within your enlistment contract. Contact your military unit or the National Archives to get a copy.

Transfer Benefits

Military personnel must have selected a dependent to whom they wish to transfer benefits while on active duty or on drill and reserve status. Sponsors can adjust the amount benefit given to the dependent in MilConnect.

When applying for a sponsor’s education benefits, be mindful of the application you’ll use. For first time users, you will fill out VA Form 22-1990e.