Concurrent Enrollment FAQs

The Concurrent Enrollment program at IWCC is a partnership between IWCC and your high school and is supported by the Senior Year Plus program of the Iowa Department of Education. This allows you to take college classes while you are still in high school
Senior Year Plus oversees a variety of programs designed to provide high school students access to courses that have the potential to generate college credit.
Your school district pays IWCC for the cost of tuition and books for the classes you enroll in. On rare occasion there may be a rental or supply fee that would be required.

High School Student are not eligible for federal financial aid.
Talking with your High School Counselor is one of the best first steps to take. They can advise you based on your areas of interest and/or help you review the IWCC website to see what classes are available. They can also help with the application process. Once you decide, your Counselor will tell IWCC what classes to enroll you in.
Students enrolled in IWCC courses while still in high school are considered college students; therefore, they should directly communicate with their IWCC instructors using their IWCC email address. The course syllabus may also offer the instructors phone number and/or office hours for additional ways to connect with them.
BOTH. Classes offered by IWCC will follow the IWCC calendar. Those classes taught only at the high school follow the high school’s calendar. Make sure to pay attention to both calendars. You are expected to be in classes when in session, regardless or what the other is doing. Think Spring Break—the high school might be on break but IWCC might not be on break
Please check with your guidance counselor for the book distribution in your district. In most cases, you will return books the same way you receive them; ie, from your counselor, the IWCC bookstore, etc.
Once you begin classes through IWCC, you are considered an IWCC student and eligible for all services provided to all other students. There are many benefits,

including accommodations for students with special needs, tutoring, writing center access (M-F), student email, IWCC student ID card, and more
Due to FERPA (Family Educational Right and Privacy Act), you and your Counselor are the only ones we can discuss your classes and grades with. UNLESS you submit the Access to Student Information Consent form. This allows a designated person to also contact us about your Education, Financial or Mental health records.
Before dropping an IWCC class, you must discuss your concerns with your Counselor. If your Counselor agrees, he/she will contact IWCC to remove you from the class. Depending upon when you drop the class, there are three possible consequences at IWCC: 1) If the course is dropped in the first 2 weeks, it will not appear on the transcript. 2) If the course is dropped after the first two weeks and before the final deadline, it will reflect as a W on the transcript. 3) If the course is not dropped by the final deadline, the grade received is reflected on the transcript.

*Your high school may have separate policies that apply if you decide to drop a class
Our transfer planning portal will be able to provide valuable guidance to you. Please check out the details here: Advising – Iowa Western Community College (
Online, face-to-face, hybrid.
A certificate is a postsecondary vocational certification. It marks the completion of a program that doesn’t lead to a degree. The certificate program is shorter than one that earns a degree and focuses primarily on general knowledge. A certificate may also focus on specific skills, as it doesn’t require the completion of core classes.

Students can earn a certificate from a community college or vocational school. Common certificates may include web development, HVAC specialist, project management or cosmetology.
You can earn a degree of completion for finishing an undergraduate or graduate program from a college or university. A degree allows students to choose a specific career path and complete the requirements of that specific degree. Completing a degree also requires students to take generalized classes in addition to their chosen major, which may include courses like mathematics or science. Some students may choose to further their education with a graduate degree, either a master’s or a Ph.D.

The main types of degrees are associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate. A few types of degrees may include a Bachelor of Arts in liberal arts, a Master of Science in business administration or an Associate of Applied Arts.
A diploma is an achievement that comes from the completion of a single subject. Students usually achieve a diploma after completing classes on a specific topic, which often includes hands-on training. Diplomas are common in technical industries and are a good option for those who want to further their training without completing a college degree.

A diploma may also refer to the completion of a high school program. Some colleges may also issue diplomas for in-depth training, which they may refer to as technical diplomas. Some may compare a diploma to an associate degree program. A diploma may be available in industries like practical nursing, software development, programming or data scientist.
You do need to submit a new application if you intend to attend IWCC after high school graduation. You can complete the application process here; Student Account Login ( Be sure to start a new application as a NEW STUDENT for this next chapter with IWCC!
You may order your IWCC transcript online through the National Student Clearinghouse. Please visit the National Student Clearinghouse link for more info: